I'm heading back to Southern California in August...this time to make a special kit for Mad Alchemists...check it out:
The Mad Alchemist's Apothecary Kit - Santa Barbara, CA
Friday, August 28, 2015 at 9:00 AM - Sunday, August 30, 2015
In this class we are going to play with a little hocus pocus of years gone by and create an apothecary box for special potions to remedy whatever ails you. The apothecary box will be highly personalized, using found objects and the process of assemblage. You'll modify the bottles and containers for all your elixirs and concoctions. In one instance I created a kit for artists who also happen to be vampire hunters...you never can be too careful. The skies the limit: love potions, shrinking pills, anti-snoring balms…whatever inspires you. Hurry, hurry step right up and enter a land of the wondrous and strange.
What you will need to bring with you:
- A case, jewelry box, cosmetic case you would like to use as the structure…this can be as big as you want but remember that you have to get it back home with you. Don’t spend a ton of money on this…we are going to alter it….dramatically.
- Some variety of vials, perfume bottles, etc. that can be made out of anything under the sun.
- Variety of found objects that might be interesting additions to the apothecary case. The more medically the better. Really anything interesting looking, weird or a combination of both will be perfect.
- Ephemera - you will need some stuff to label your potions. Various types of papers, photographs, or books will come in handy.
- Scraps of material like burlap, velvet, or leather might be nice to adorn the case interior as an option. Paper will work too.
- Aves Apoxy Clay 1/4 lbs or more
- Dap Kwik Seal for kitchen and bath -White.
- Paint Brushes (a couple small detail brushes, and some cheap brushes (1/2 inch to 1 inch in size)
- Wire a couple of different gauges
- Basic Tools…pliers, scissors,
- Paint (acrylic…preferably Golden brand…either fluid or heavy body will work): Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, Black (Mars or Carbon), Titanium White, Pthalo Green (blue shade), Dioxazine Purple, Van Dyke Brown, Pthalo Blue, Quinacridone Crimson
- Paints: Graphite Gray, Interference Colors (blue, violet or any others), Iridescent colors (Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, etc), Micaceous Iron Oxide, Nickel Azo Yellow, Terra Verte Hue, Azurite Hue, Smalt Hue , Tranparent Brown Iron Oxide
- Tools: Heat gun, Dremel with cut off wheel
- Cost: $375. $50 deposit to reserve your seat. Balance due at the start of the class. I know life happens, so refunds will be available as long as I am able to fill your seat.
- What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
- I live very close to the Santa Barbara airport. It is about a $20 cab fare from the airport. There is plenty of street parking for those who are local.
- There are 3 hotels very close by:
- Ramada Inn, 4770 Calle Real, SB CA, 93110Si
- Extended Stay America, 4870 Calle Real, SB , 93111
- Goodland Inn, 5650 Calle Real, Goleta, CA 93117